With Christmas over and New Year just around the corner, there’s no better time to start planning a winter weekend escape. Creating a home away from home in self-catered accommodation is the perfect way to spend time together after the busy festive period.
If you’re only away for a few days you’ve got just a brief time to make your getaway one you will remember so packing a few extras is a lovely way to add romance to your holiday. After all, you want to make the most out of your special, but short, time away. Here’s everything you need to ensure your weekend rendezvous is as romantic as possible:
- Romantic playlist. What is a romantic weekend away without some music to get you in the mood? Make a playlist in advance with some of your favourite love songs and don’t forget to add in songs that remind you of special times together. Perhaps play an album from a band you went to see together or a song that played on your first date.
- Candles. When I’m trying to set a romantic atmosphere I love to light a candle. This Neom tranquillity candle has a really relaxing scent. Oh and don’t forget to pack matches!
- Perfume. To me, fragrance is like an invisible accessory that makes me smell and feel fabulous. I love my Jo Malone cologne for weekends away as I find the scent of the sea salt and wood sage so calming.
- Lingerie. If you’re a bit lingerie obsessed like me then you know it’s what you’re wearing underneath that can make you feel so oh special in any outfit. Silky soft fabrics and intricate lace detailing are perfect for a sexy weekend surprise. You can read more about what lingerie I pack for a romantic weekend away in my blog post with Ann Summers.
- Massage oil. Who doesn’t enjoy a massage? Pack a massage oil, I recommend this Neom body oil, to give your partner a treat and melt away their stresses with a relaxing shoulder and back rub.
- Surprise suitcase gift. Hide a gift in your partner’s suitcase so that when they unpack they get a surprise treat! A new cosy jumper to wear in front of the fire or a good book to read in the afternoons are perfect presents to make them smile.
- Food. Last, but certainly not least, pack lots of food! It’s so romantic to be able to enjoy some good food together over candlelight and good conversation. To save the hassle of cooking whilst on holiday I like to pack a hamper. Lewis & Cooper make luxury wicker hampers full of some of my favourite tipples, Yorkshire nibbles and sweet indulgences.
- Wine. If you’re enjoying lots of lovely food then you have to pack some wine. Recently I’ve been enjoying this Marques de la Concordia Rioja Reserva as it has such a velvety rich flavour. It perfectly complements dishes such as roast meats and hard cheese so it’s a great wine to accompany a weekend away. If you’re feeling a little more festive then pack one of these Cocoa & Orange Echo Falls wines and serve it warm for a winter treat.
To say thank you to all my lovely readers for a great year of blogging in 2015 I have a Lewis & Cooper hamper worth £99.95 to give away to one lucky reader! Filled with food and wine it will ensure you have a romantic weekend away. All you have to do is enter my give away below. It’s really easy and takes less than five minutes. Good luck!
T&C’s: The competition closes on 11/01/2016. I have one Chairman’s Choice Hamper from Lewis & Cooper to give away. The winner must be aged over 18. The prize is non-refundable and no cash alternative will be offered. Winner will be chosen at random.