Being in Bali was like a dream. Every day was all about sea, surf and sun-kissed skin so I’m suffering from serious post-holiday blues now!
The tour books and travel blogs I had read before my trip told me that Bali was brimming with market stalls and there were crafts to be found round every corner. I packed light expecting to bring home Batik silk sarongs, woven wicker baskets and embroidered fabrics. To keep my suitcase half empty I had to repack…and repack again! Here are the top ten things I wore in Bali:
- Crochet bralets. This is always a summer staple for me at festivals as I love wearing crochet mini dresses or crop tops for a hippy look. In Bali I wore this crochet bralet paired with denim shorts to the beach – the barely there back was perfect for avoiding tan lines!
- Cashmere wrapover. When it gets cooler in the evenings it’s lovely to have something to wrap over your shoulders so I always pack a cashmere jumper to wear when I watch the sunset. This La Redoute wrapover is made from a seriously soft alpaca blend.
- Espadrilles. Espadrilles are quintessential summer shoes – they’re easy to slip on after a day at the beach and they look great with a bikini, beachwear or denim shorts. I always buy mine from Toms as they donate a pair of shoes to a person in need for every product you purchase.
- Utility shorts. The belt with buckle through belt loops makes this La Redoute pair such a practical pair of shorts – perfect for throwing on after surfing.
- Straw hat. My instagram feed is always full of celebrities on yachts in straw hats so I couldn’t resist being a summer cliché in this cute boater. I just had to try not to squash it in my suitcase on the flight there!
- Maxi Skirts. Long chiffon skirts are set to be a hot spring trend this year and they’re always a holiday staple for me. As well as being elegant the length means you’re protected from mosquito bites which is always good!
- Bikinis (and a lot of them). The beaches in Bali are beautiful so be prepared for spending all day in the sun working on your tan!
- Polarised sunglasses. This style of sunglasses is really popular with surfers so I had to get a pair for Bali from Zero UV. As well as UV400 lenses to protect my eyes from the sun the matte black finish of the frames is super stylish.
- Fabric backpack. Every time I travelled to the beach I brought my book, sunglasses and camera. Having a floral fabric backpack rather than something structured was a good idea as it was more lightweight in the hot weather.
- Yoga gear. Bali is such a relaxing island so it was the perfect place for me to practice Yoga. I packed sports bras, leggings and a pair of trainers.
As well as my style essentials I packed some books to read by the pool, sweet smelling toiletries to keep my skin smooth after a day in the sun and my Olympus PEN which I never travel without!
I invested in some of these chic new staples from La Redoute. These lace shorts and grey wrap jumper are two of my favourite pieces simply because they go with everything. Grey is as classy a colour as you can get and it works fabulously layered with other shades (so my wardrobe is literally fifty shades of grey right now ranging from slate to charcoal grey hehe).
What do you pack for a beach holiday? Comment below to let me know!